The season is definitely changing around here… get the most out of the weather we still have while looking forward to winter and its own brand of fun! There’s something to do in any weather.
- If the weather’s great, go to Musquodoboit while the leaves are still hanging onto the trees and the snow isn’t flying and seize this opportunity for a family hike! In under an hour’s drive from Halifax, you can get to the Musquodoboit Trailway, starting at the Caboose Information Centre at the Musquodoboit Railway Museum. This trail is suitable for strollers and/or bikes—it’s totally well-groomed and has great views of scenic cliffs and glistening water. Visit http://www.mta-ns.ca/musquodoboit-trailway for a summary of what this hike is like!
- If the weather is good enough for a drive and some light walking, take the car (and put your family in it) and get to Aylesford to visit the Oaklawn Farm Zoo between 10 and 5. It’s their last weekend before they close for the season this coming Tuesday. Admission is $8, seniors and students $5, kids 3-12 $3.50, and under 3 are free. Pro tip: if you bring a cute baby, this is about the only place in the province strangers will probably not ogle at it.
- If the weather is poor and you don’t want to go far, hit up the library for the launch of a cute little book about a lentil. Lawnteel at Home, by Angus MacCaull (Author), Annie Chau (Illustrator), is making its debut at Halifax Central Library this Sunday at 2:30. There will be a reading followed by songs and a signing. This is a free event appropriate for ages 3 and up and there’s a rumour it’s full of beans.
- Weather or not…if it’s Christmas you crave, how about a craft fair? There are going to be so many high quality hand-crafted gifts at the Exhibition Centre, Christmas Craft Village is open Friday 2-9, Saturday 10-8, and Sunday 10-5. Aisles so wide you can bring your oversized stroller! Admission is $9 for grownups, $8 for students/seniors, and $0 for kids under 12! A one-time fee gets you access all weekend long!
- If you just wish it were winter already, go skating! Join us on the ice rink—the big room of eternal winter! Urban Parent is hosting a Free Skate at Centennial Arena on Monday from 3-4. Be there with skates on and helmets too!