1. The first Saturday of May every year is free comic book day! Free Comic Book Day started in 2002 and has become a very popular event all over the world! This year, more than four million comic books will be given away worldwide! It’s a great event for kids, people come out in costume and all the locations have suitable comics for kids available.
2. Little Ray’s Reptile Zoo will at the Discovery Centre for several days in May. They’re thrilled to welcome them along with all of their creatures. Hours will be from 10:30 am to 3:30 pm with formal 30 minutes shows happening daily at 11:00 am, 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm. Little Ray’s shows are high-energy and interactive for all ages and include four animals per show. Don’t worry; if you drop by between the times of formal shows, there will still be animals for our visitors to interact with. Watch out for the featured species and special guest of the day!
3. The 3rd Annual Rock-A-Thon and Diaper-Drop for Supportive Housing for Young Mothers (SHYM) will take place on Saturday, May 3rd from 10:00am to 8:00pm in the Bay Court at Mic Mac Mall. Monetary and diaper donations can be made throughout the day to support the group of volunteers who will be rocking in rocking chairs for 10 hours to raise money for the young moms and babies in the YWCA’s SHYM program.
4. Be a Hero. Head to the Emera Oval on Sunday, May 4 for the Walk so Kids Can Talk, presented by BMO. All funds raised support Kids Help Phone – the only national professional counselling service supporting kids 24/7/365.
5. Join the AGNS between 1-4pm at the Art Gallery of NS for a specially-designed Family Sunday for families with a children on the autism spectrum. This program is designed in partnership with Autism Nova Scotia.
6. Calling all Superheros! Come celebrate and hone your superhero skills with our trivia and training games. Saturday May 3rd, 10:30am at the Keshen Goodman Public Library.