1. For one day Halifax's Waterfront is transformed into a literary theme park that you don't want to miss! It's Word on the Street! Free events are scheduled from 11am-5pm including author readings, performances, demonstrations, and workshops. Two marketplaces will be selling books and magazines, as well as giving out information on literacy and literature-related initiatives. Lots of great kids books at great prices!
2. Welcome to another year of fun and excitement at Quinfest! This year brings educational fun with the Maritime Reptile Zoo at the Halifax Vet parking lot, carnival games with The Ikebana Shop and Nova Scotia College of Early Childhood Education, as well as a variety of food samplings, and lots of great deals!
3. When truckers get together, amazing things can happen. On September 21st starting at 10am, trucks of all sizes will be rolling onto the streets in the World’s Largest Truck Convoy for Special Olympics Nova Scotia. The streets of Dartmouth, Cole Harbour, and Eastern Passage will be loaded with big rigs as they travel 37 kilometers out of Shearwater. Join in the fun and cheer our truckers on as they show their support for Special Olympics athletes.
4. Come experience the largest duck race of its kind in Canada at the Alzheimer Duck Derby! FREE Kids Zone with face painting, bouncy castle and get your picture taken with the duck mascot, Hali Derby. Race Day Schedule 12:00 pm- FREE Kids Zone opens 12:30 pm- Vote! The top five ducks from the Best Dressed Quacker Contest will be on display for your votes. 1:00 pm- Over 100 decorated ducks will race! The fastest duck will win the coveted Duck Cup and bragging rights! 1:30 pm- Calling all ducklings! FREE Kids' Duck Costume Contest with prizes (12 years and under) first prize is $500 for an education fund. 2:00 pm- Alzheimer Duck Derby-10,000 rubber ducks race in the Harbour. 2:30 pm- Winners are announced- one lucky duck adopter will win a 2013 Hyundai Accent! We hope to see you rain or shine on the Halifax Waterfront by Bishop's Landing! Have some fun and help support families living with dementia in our communities.
5. If you have kids or are expecting, the POMBA sale is one Baby and Children's Used Clothing, Toys and Equipment Sale you don't want to miss. It's the largest sale of its kind! Saturday from 9am-1pm at the Halifax Forum Multipurpose Room 6210 Young Street (A fundraiser sponsored by POMBA-Parents of Multiple Births Association) a non profit support group for families of multiple births (twins, triplets and more).