1. KIDFEST! is a FREE Music Festival! Bring the whole family for a fun afternoon and enjoy the valley’s only festival created especially for Kids! Get yin our costumes early and come dressed up because it’s now a HALLOWEEN PARTY! Matt the Music Man has been performing children’s music since 2014 and has been nominated by Music Nova Scotia for Children’s Entertainer of the year for the second time! Jamie Junger and his band will also be performing who has produced great kids albums. This is sure to be a fantastic event for the little ones!
2. Every October in Kentville, something magical happens… Not only do the Autumn colours look fabulous out in the country, but Pumpkin People show up in droves! If you haven’t seen these gourd-headed guys and gals for yourselves, get down to the valley before Halloween and see what kinds of silly antics they are getting up to! Spoiler alert—This year’s theme is “Toon Town” and the Pumpkin People have come dressed up as their very favourite classic cartoon characters! Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear, and the Bugs Bunny crew are lining Main Street and making the town a lot more orange and comical. Stay tuned and make sure you visit Kentville this month to see all 300 pumpkin heads!
3. The Diwali Carnival, “festival of lights,” at the Halifax Forum will light up this weekend! Beginning Friday at 3 and carrying on through Sunday, the Hindu New Year brings rich Indian culture, food, art, music, dances, henna, fashion, and fireworks to be enjoyed by young and old alike.
4. Craft fairs and flea markets, this weekend Halifax is exploding with them! It’s off the hook. We’ll give you the who, what, where, when, and why; you decide which bazaar is right for you…or hit ‘em all up and end up with far too many things (or just enough so you’re set for the holidays). Up to you.
- Prospect Road Crafter’s Market – The 10th Annual Prospect Road Crafters’ Market is returning to the Prospect Road Community Centre on October 19th with a fantastic variety of crafters! The annual market offers FREE admission, FREE parking, live music, a fabulous door prize, a luncheon, barbecue – fun for the whole family. Join in over 100 crafters for their annual sale and kick off to the Christmas season! Saturday, 10-4 at the Prospect Road Community Centre
- Thy Fair Ladies Fall Craft Market – Thy Fair Ladies (and Laddies) Fall Craft Market boasts 50 local crafters and artisans, with items ranging from baby items to jewelry to bath products to holiday decor! Admission is $2 (children 12 and under are free), with all admission proceeds going towards Building Futures, a local non-profit organization. Saturday and Sunday, 10-3, Cole Harbour Place.
- Halifax Curbside Giveaway Weekend – Whoever said, “nothing in life is free” must not know about Halifax’s Curbside Giveaway weekend. It’s the perfect time to de-clutter AND get some free stuff. Rain or shine, all weekend long. Get out and enjoy the treasure hunt.
- Bethany’s 16th Annual Fall Fair – Come join the fun this community Fall Fair! There will be lots of events for the whole family – food, crafts, a silent auction and fun and games for the kids! Come find great bargains and hidden gems – jewelry, books, home décor, furniture, housewares, and so much more! Saturday, 9-1 at the Bethany United Church on Joe Howe Dr.
5. Pumpkin Decorating & Folklore Festival – Not only can you carve a pumpkin, but you can do it for FREE each Saturday morning in October, compliments of Alderney Landing. Visit the weekly market and then stop by the parking lot side of Alderney Landing next to the waterfront from 9:00-12:30 and take a decorated pumpkin home with you. Pumpkins and decorating materials are provided FREE of charge. Happy Halloween!