The holidays are upon us, Halifax! With this much joy and cheer abounding in HRM and beyond, your family is sure to find some festive fun to brighten the weekend. Tree lightings, the theatre, parades, and markets—take your pick.
1. Don’t miss Sackville’s Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Friday night at Acadia Park, 650 Sackville Drive hosted by the Sackville Business Association! Take in the joyous celebrations with friends and family, warm up with hot chocolate, sing along with live entertainment, and end the evening with Santa lighting the Christmas trees! Don’t forget to dress for the weather, it could be a chilly evening. You can find all of the details at www.sackvillebusiness.com.
2. Neptune Theatres Family Series has us feeling fabulously festive! With Dickens’ and Peter Pan opening this weekend and some side-splitting hot tickets in the new year, you’ll be thanking all the ghosts of Christmas that we have such a top notch theatre in our fair city.
Dickens’ A Christmas Carol – November 27-December 28. Show Times: Tuesday-Friday – 7:30. Saturday and Sunday – 2 and 7:30. A heartwarming holiday classic for the whole family. Dickens’ A Christmas Carol is brought to life once again in this hilarious and haunted holiday experience. If you’ve never seen this story about redemption, charity, and the true spirit of Christmas live, this season is the time! Tickets start at $25.
Peter Pan – November 27-January 5. Show times: Tuesday- Friday – 7:30; Saturday and Sunday – 2 and 7:30. Get whisked away with Wendy, Michael, and John to a musical Never-you-mind-land with none other than a mysterious flying boy dressed in green! Play along with a show-tune loving Captain Hook, peculiar pirates, and a posse of underdog ragtag kids. Tickets start at $30.
In the New Year, be prepared for a high-energy theatrical experience filled with humour and zany antics with L’Aubergine Presenting Terzetto, playing January 24-26, to find out what three clowns do with three doors, three chairs, three wooden boards, and one light bulb? Spoiler alert, it’s zuper zany!! This show inspires joy and lots of laughter and all three clowns have a trick or two—or who’s kidding who, three tricks—up their sleeves.
And save the date in the spring for the unforgettable Zaniac Comedy Show playing April 17-19. With the energy of 1,000 suns, two time Guinness World Record holder, Alex Zerbe, professional Zaniac, shines like a comedy beacon as he bounces from one end of the stage to the other. Jaws will drop as Alex juggles bowling balls, flaming torches, and slices vegetables in half with a flying playing card. A memorable audience experience for all ages.
Here’s your Urban Parent Bonus: save 20% off adult and youth prices for the Family Series with promo code 1920FAMILY. Includes: Dickens, Terzettto and Zaniac Comedy Show. New purchases only, adult and youth A/B seating.
3. The holidays are for pooches and other willing walking animals too! Dress up your furry friend for this year’s Pet Parade on Quinpool this Saturday and stroll with Santa starting at Sir Charles Tupper Elementary (1930 Cambridge Street).
4. Road trip this weekend to Christmas by the Sea – an outdoor Christmas market in the timeless Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Booths of local crafts, food, arts, and many other unique vendors will line King Street in Lunenburg on November 30th, 2019 between noon and 9. With monitored warming stations and plenty of hot cocoa you will feel the warmth from your heart to your toes. This event sails smoothly along with the annual Christmas Parade in the afternoon and the tree lighting at the Band Stand happening at 7 in the evening!
5.Light up some trees already! Fisherman’s Cove and Cole Harbour invite you and your family to light up the winter evening air…
Tree Lighting and Carolling around the Cove: Nothing says Christmas like carolling and lights! Join in as we sing Christmas carols around Fisherman’s Cove then on to Quigley’s Corner to light up the Quigley’s Corner Christmas Tree. Everyone to meet at the Heritage Center. Carolling begins at 3:30pm. All welcome!
Cole Harbour Christmas Tree Lighting: The Cole Harbour and Area Business Association would like to invite you and your family to their 2019 Christmas Tree Lighting on Sunday December 1st, 2019 from 4:30-5:30 at the Cole Harbour Fire Station where you can gather for some entertainment, hot chocolate, and light the tree with special guest… SANTA! Bring a non-perishable food donation in support of Cole Harbour-Westphal Firefighters Association’s Hamper Drive.
6. Just in case you haven’t bought all your gifts yet (sheesh, we know, it’s still November) buy local and hand made at craft show! This weekend, there are choices: the Christmas Craft Show for the Navy League of Sackville on Saturday and Sunday, 10-4 at 45 Sackville Cross Road; Chester Christmas Market on Sunday, 9-2 at the Chester Legion; and Porters Lake Christmas Arts & Craft Fair on Sunday, 10-2 at Porters Lake Community Centre.