Escape to the great indoors this weekend! Jump into an indoor playground, think your way over to a museum, swim along to (you guessed it) a pool, or fashion forth to a crafty shop. There’s still tons to do inside in HRM when it’s February outside.
- When you think indoor playground in HRM, you can take your pick. Indoor playgrounds are fantastic places to beat the February blues and enjoy some time with the kids! To name a few, Hop! Skip! Jump! in Bayers Lake sets the standard for cleanliness and maximum fun, Amazing Land towards Cole Harbour is brand new, and The Kids Fun Factory in Dartmouth Crossing offers supervision for kid age 6 and up. For hours, rates, and details on all the locations in HRM and a little bit beyond, check out Urban Parent’s up-to-date list of Indoor Play Facilities.
- Learn about ships, from Theodore Tugboat to the Titanic and more things Maritime at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic! The doors are open 9:30-5 on Saturday and 1-5 on Sunday and their winter rates are great! Admission for a family is just $11.85. Keep an eye on our calendar for Welcome Wednesdays which offers activities for young children and the monthly gathering of the LEGO Stop Motion Animation User Club for big sisters and brothers.
- From the waterslides at the Canada Games Centre and Dartmouth Sportsplex and the Spryfield Wave Pool to the fabulously warm toddler pool at Cole Harbour Place, the synchronized swim team at Centennial and the Tarzan rope at Needham, HRM recreation centres have some of the best indoor play spaces around! There are enough aquatic facilities in the area to hit a different pool every week to keep things interesting. Click on the pools’ names for links to their swim schedules. Most have libraries in the building, for a perfect after-swim activity—snuggling with a book is a great excuse to give everyone’s hair time to dry before heading out on the day’s next adventure.
- Did you know there’s a shop dedicated to the DIY custom creation of sock monkeys and other creatures like Chewbacca or Olaf? Make it an afternoon of monkeying around at The Monkey Show on Dresden Row. With tons of colours and styles to choose from you will be sure to find something for everyone from your baby cousin to your big stinky teen brother!
- Save the date for SISU’s Family Superhero Self Defence Clinic on February 25 at 1:00. It’s a free open house for all our Urban Parent followers!